 Fun / 917
Re: attn: chemists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:20:28 GMT

"Nick Oranzi" <cheez11111@yahoo.com> mumbled in
news:HB9B36.C7q@lugnet.com:

does anyone know the molecular weight of legos?  How much is one mole
of our favorite building bricks?  Ever since i began chemistry, this
question has been bothering me.  Fire up the ole mass specs and let's
get some data!

well that's an interesting question..  let's see..

search google for "lego material plastic carbon"
lots of results.. but this one:

http://www.designinsite.dk/htmsider/m0007.htm

shows us that the material is in fact ABS
- acrylonitrile butadiene styrene

It is an environment-friendly mixture, but this is
not enough.. we need more molecular data  :)
Well..  search google for ABS etc.

http://www.polymerprocessing.com/polymers/ABS.html

and.. that's just about it  :

Density: 1.02 - 1.21 g/cc 0.0368 - 0.0437 lb/in³
Average = 1.05 g/cc; Grade Count = 185

so... we can see why they just sink in water - since
the legos are a little bit heavier than H2O..

Greetings! and happy building!

--
| lars gjerløw jørgensen | lgj[at]jyde[dot]dk  |
| N55 43.184  E12 32.405 | www.lgj.dk | oz2lgj |