 FAQ / 750
Re: Junior, Juniorized, Juniorization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:07:52 GMT

Shiri:

In lugnet.faq, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:

IMO the main juniorisation indicator is POOP's:

- BURPS

Okay, IMHO, BURPs have great potential and you can do tons of stuff with them.
<grin, duck, run>

I just moved and left my BURPs at my old house - you wouldn't believe how much
I miss them...
And, you couldn't create a hollow effect using other bricks.

You can create a hollow effect with other bricks (but you might need a bit more
than two pieces :-)

Some not quite POOP's (the actual shape is _slightly_
different from what you could achieve with other pieces):

- castle wall pieces (including the western variants)
- raised base plates

Well, personally, I love the raised baseplates and the castle walls.

I don't really mind the raised base plates because they are a nice cheap
solution for building mountains.

I have a strong dislike for the castle wall pieces. You can't build "realistic"
castles with them, and you can get a much more realistic look with just a few
more pieces (ok, 5-10 times as many pieces).

I wonder how much more expensive non-raised base plates plus
pieces (maybe some BURPS) to create the raised section would
be that plain raised base plates.

See? You proved my point about BURPs - you found a way to use them.

I just mentioned BURP's because I expect it to be a cheaper solution than the
one I actually want - a mountain built of plain bricks and plates.

Personally, I think the really bad juniorization is the Town Jr. using HUGE
wall pieces (and car chassis') that could be EASILY replaced by normal pieces,
and would look better that way, too.

That's POOP's (technically BURP's aren't POOP's). The only reason it is bad is
that it reduces the reusability of the models. We should demonstrate that by
publishing non-POOP versions of those sets _with_ alternate models.

I agree with Richard's saying about the 12 brick high columns (In fright
knights), I like them too.

It can easyly be substituted with (hmm, lets see) two 2x2 bricks and ten 2x2
cylinders (right?), maybe even with a technic axle in the core. A much more
flexible solution.

Play well,

Jacob

--  E-mail:              sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --