 FAQ / 672 (-5)
  Re: 8 millimeters or 5/16 inches? (was Re: Scales (Was: New Lego page!)

(...) Thanks for the info. I don't care enough about this to look it up, though. What's important is that LEGO makes the best bricks. :-) I'm pretty much a pragmatist in this matter. Fredrik (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.faq)

  Re: 8 millimeters or 5/16 inches? (was Re: Scales (Was: New Lego page!)

(...) Some english company, which TLG bought the original patent from. Someone has a whole website about this, seemed to be fairly miffed about it, and would periodically post the URL to it on RTL... I stopped reading RTL much so can't say if that's (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.faq)

  Re: 8 millimeters or 5/16 inches? (was Re: Scales (Was: New Lego page!)

(...) Does this imply that someone else patented the _original_ brick design, without the tubes? If so, who did? Fredrik (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.faq)

  Re: 8 millimeters or 5/16 inches? (was Re: Scales (Was: New Lego page!)

A whilo ago it struck me that the base unit of LEGO probably was defined in inches not in mm. 1/16 inch is far more an obvious unit than 1.6 mm. This is an interesting fact, because it reveals the British heritage of the LEGO brick. So while TLG (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.faq)

  Re: 8 millimeters or 5/16 inches? (was Re: Scales (Was: New Lego page!)

The basic issue I'm raising is determining the engineer's standard for the "horizontal spacing" from one stud to the next. I think this is what you're calling "the pitch". The most commonly quoted dimension standard among LEGO users is this (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.faq)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact