 FAQ / 1070
Re: Highlighting and Spotlighting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:36:46 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Dave Amos writes:
When is an appropriate time to highlight or spotlight a post.  Also, what is
the difference between the two?  And when I click on "details" it gives me
information I cannot decypher.  Can anyone explain?

See this Todd's post here about highlighting and spotlighting:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=722

The details are worked out like this:
A spotlight vote awards the article 100 points
A highlight vote awards the article 75 points
All articles have 1 automatic vote (raw data 0)
The article rating is an average of the awarded points.

The automatic vote is to reduce the influence of 1 vote,for example:
An article awarded 1 spotlight point would have a higher rating [100] than
an article with 2 spotlight votes and 1 highlight vote, rating
91.67[(100+100+75)/3] with automatic vote the ratings would be 50 and 68.75
repectively.

The data in the detail page (Variation, Standard Deviation) are values
calculated from the data and are used in statistical calculations. Basically
the standard deviation indicates between what values 68% of the votes are.
The variation indicates how spread out the votes are.

-Frank