 Fabuland / 372
Re: 1979-1990
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fabuland
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:40:29 GMT

In lugnet.fabuland, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
In lugnet.fabuland, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:
I always thought Fabuland's time span to be 1979-1989.  Well, I was wrong
about the end date being 1989.  It was 1990.

1990 Chinese? catalogue
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1990/c90ch/index.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1990/c90ch/c90ch-09.html

And the ultimate evidence is in a picture taken by Osamu Furusawa of a
showcase at Billund.

sheree

I would like to query the accuracy of the dates from Billund...the mini-fig
stiffs were available from 1975-1979/1980, yet only 1975 is shown, so it is
quite possible the dates for fabuland are also wrong...

Benjamin Whytcross

What criteria should one use to determine the end year of a theme?  Is it
the last year new sets  of that theme are released/produced? or is it the
last year a theme is pictured in a Lego Company Catalogue?

Re Fabuland dates-
I don't think anyone will dispute that the first sets appeared in 1979 and
the last year new sets were released/appeared was 1989.  However, the sets
were still featured in one 1990 Lego catalogue. (okay... so it was China...)
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1990/c90ch/index.html
When I saw the Billund display photo I began to think that perhaps the
criteria TLC uses to denote "the end"  of a theme is the last year it is
pictured in a catalogue.  Well... that  is one explanation...
There are a lot of ifs and maybes in this line of thinking...  While I think
the release/production info is more valid, it did/does make me feel better
to think that I could/can count one more year of life for my beloved
Fabuland ...

Re the stiffies- (which I know little about)
The Billund display definitely has an ommission.  Was giving one date, 1975,
meant to signify that it was only produced and/or available in that  year or
was it meant only to signify the first appearance of the stiffie and they
just didn't bother to give either the last year a set containing this style
figure was either last released or pictured in a catalogue?  Inaccuracy or
sloppiness in omission?
As you stated, I do see this style figure first appears in sets in 1975, 362
for example.  The last year I see sets containing the stiffies is 1977,
examples being 163 and 372.  Were any new sets containing stiffies released
in 1978, the year the articulated minifigure appeared?  I see sets 910 and
911 with the stiffies as late as 1979 in the uk1979 catalogue.  Is this what
you are referring to when you give the 1979/1980 date?  The catalogues often
include the end of one year and the beginning of another.  Or was there a
1980 catalogue with sets containing stiffies?

Re other articulated minifigs- I plead total ignorance

Re Duplo figures
Is 1977 the first year of Duplo?  I see the  style of peg figure shown in
the Billund picture in set 088 released in 1977.  2341 released in 1991
appears to have this style of peg figure too.   Yet, the articulated Duplo
figure appears also in set 2654 released in 1991.  I haven't checked the
catalogues at Brickshelf yet to see if sets with this style peg figure are
pictured after 1991.  Maybe date of last release of new sets with this
figure and last year offered are one and the same , maybe not.  1977-1991
appears at least valid for years of production.

I find all this confusing but interesting.

Anyone with more information on any of this? I await enlightenment!

tia
sheree