 Events / NWBrickCon / 75
Re: NWBC Post Mortem meeting notes, warning LONG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:55:37 GMT

Mark wrote in message ...
<<I posted this to our Yahoo Groups page, I thought I'd put it here as well
for all whom are interested>>

Thanks for posting this, Mark - I just wanted to add a few comments:

1   More space needed.  We are thinking the same venue, except
using the entirety of the second floor (three conference rooms + the
Harrison ST gallery)  Also tossed around was using the dance floor
for an Evil Stevies Pirate game.

Yes indeed, more space! However, the *kind* of space is important... the
three thngs that struck me most were:

- separation of different themes by long distances so there was less contact
between eg trainheads and spaceheads than there could have been. If we could
get one LARGE MOC room and have everybody in there together it would be
better, plus less confusing for visitors who came to the train layout and
couldn't work out where everything else was (and I am sure vice versa!)

- need ability to close the doors to the public at closing time. With the
train layout out in the corridor we had people wandering past all evening
(in fact on Fri night, after we had closed down the layout and gone off to
eat about 8pm, some passers-by went in back, re-attached the power lines,
switched everything on, and started running trains!)

- need private space for the workshops and discussion groups

4   Better distribution of K8s.  The K8s were origionally divided
in to 75 bags so everyone would get some, but the reality of it was
that many never got a chance to get some brick.  We will look at K8s
and their use, IF we get anymore of them.

Yep... it wasn't clear at all how and by who the K8's were to be used.

8   More Con only dedicated time.  Stricter hours for public vs.
private.  This is a balence I really want to focus on for two big
reasons.  We need our con, but to get the space for free the Center
demands that it be open to the public.  Also, if we want strong LEGO
support, the more public the better.  This is a balence we must
achieve.

Yes please! Many of us can do public show stuff at home, and the draw of a
con is the private time.

15  Developing a perk system for volunteers.  Parking is a premium
near the center, some parking passes can be provided for those
willing to take on registration table duties, watching tables, or
doing crowd control.  (say, minimum 4 hours gets you a parking
pass?) Other idea for a perk idea was to get a free shirt.

One thing I noticed was that there was no sign-up sheet for volunteers to
guard/run the train layout. Of course it got covered and we had fun doing
it, but it felt kinda like we were invisible to the rest of the con because
we weren't signing up "officially" and were off away round the corner from
everything else.

17  Barriers for all displays.  With more display area, we think
stantions will work best.  Plexiglass barriers for all displays are
heavy, costly, work intensive, and only as good as they are
unscratched.  (only for a few shows unless handled very carefully.)

They get covered with kid drool and snot too. Ick. (I took down many of the
train layout plexi sheets and they were pretty yucky... they needed a wash
before being used again!). We (VLC) used stanchions and ropes round our mall
layout last year and although we had to have people maintaining them (they
tend to get gradually worked inwards) and watching out for the ducker-unders
and leaner-overs, they worked OK.

SMART crowd, thanks for making a very public friendly space that
left many with smiles.  Especially as they went to wait in the line
of heck down the hall.

Yes, the robots were awesome. Especially the helicopter!

VLC presence was astounding!  So much they are very eager to make
this an event hosted by Four local clubs, SEALUG, PNLTC, SMART and
VLC.

You guys did contact us long beforehand about sponsoring, and we dropped the
ball on getting back to you, but I hope we made up for it! We had 8 people
present on Sat when our day-trippers came down. All of us enjoyed it and I
know we'll be back in force again next year.

Kevin Wilson
VLC Membership Director
NEW Cottage kit, 577 pieces! http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-cott.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information: