 Events / NWBrickCon / 21
  Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions do you want?

(...) I get a lot out of the public aspect also. But my point is that I get that several times a year without paying $150/night for a hotel room. In fact, lately, I can get it almost as often as I want just by convincing one other person to go over (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

  I want a convention, not a show. (was Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions...)

(...) Yup. I keep waffling back and forth on whether or not I can go to NWBC, and the 'public display' part is one of the things that makes me less inclined to go. I really enjoy interacting with the public; my feet are always sore after a train (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

  Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions do you want?

(...) [...] (...) I wouldn't pay $150/night for a hotel room in any case. At BricksWest we stayed at a campground the first two nights and at Motel 6 the third. The total cost for lodging for me was under $50 for all three nights. For NWBrickCon, my (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

  Re: I want a convention, not a show. (was Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions...)

(...) We are going to have plenty of stuff going on that is non-public. All of Friday is being set aside for AFOL meet and greets, and general MOC showing and whatnot. I sincerely hope you would not stay home just because of public MOC displays. :^( (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

  Re: I want a convention, not a show. (was Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions...)

(...) Two 4-hour windows of public display is pretty minor, all things considered. A much bigger "turn-off" for me is the (seemingly) rigid shutdown time - but I freely admit that's a personal bias stemming from experience with gaming and SF cons. (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

  Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions do you want?

(...) I don't think the point is the amount expended, the point is the time allocation. Attending a con is a significant time investment as well as expense. I have a great deal of sympathy for the viewpoint that says "if I want to meet mundanes and (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

  Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions do you want?

(...) The time expended is certainly a factor, but it's actually more a factor of expectations. When I do a train show, I usually commit a whole weekend to it. I would be interested in doing a big blow out show the world how cool we are at LLC (or (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

  Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions do you want?

BricksWest was a long trip for me, I live in upstate NY. I attended because my primary interest was in meeting other AFOLs and see their work first hand. I did not enjoy the fact that most of the people and their MOCs were in seperate locations most (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

  Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions do you want?

(...) Well, in order to host it at the park at all, it would have to be open to the public at least to some extent - otherwise, what's in it for the park? It's good publicity for LEGO to be able to show to their visitors extraordinary models built (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

"John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> wrote in message news:H1B499.6pF@lugnet.com... (...) because (...) hand. (...) event (...) no (...) then (...) I'll agree with you that the "split up" was something I wasn't too thrilled about either. Some of us in (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)

  Re: I want a convention, not a show. (was Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions...)

(...) Our intent is to stick around until the center folks throw us out, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably won't leave until well after the "shut down" time. Also, the plan is to get a schedule going so that folks will have very defined "shifts" (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events)