 Events / NWBrickCon / 209
Re: Brickfest question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 22:55:13 GMT

Crossposted to events.brickfest since I THINK you’re asking about BrickFest PDX not NWBrickCon.

In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Rosemary Regner wrote:
   I have never attended a brickfest event. I am thinking about attending PDX2004 with my two children. I have two boys that will be 8 and 4 when the event occurs. We will have to travel 8 hours (if good weather) to attend but it is not possible for us to stay past Saturday. I doubt I can interested both boys in two full days of the fest.

What can we attend? What do you recommend? What activities are there for children? What type of model building events are there for children? What would the cost be?

My 7 year old would be interested in building a model to bring. They would love to view other peoples models or build with others.

As to your questions ...

Some reading of the archives of events.brickfest might be helpful in giving more detail... I don’t want to sound discouraging but BrickFest tends to be primarily an adult focused event. (put on BY fans FOR fans, contrast with an exhibition or show which is primarily for the benefit of the general public) There typically are not a lot of activities that are geared primarily to younger children.

That’s not to say that if you’re committed to keeping them amused and involved that you are barred from attending, but you’re responsible for seeing to it that they don’t disrupt convention activities (seminars, award ceremonies, presentations and roundtable discussions can be quite boring to younger children). There are SOME things they could do like building with the K8s and just going around and looking at models, but you are probably right in suspecting that would not hold them for 2 whole days.

There is likely to be a public facing portion of the convention, however, just like there was for BrickFest DC in August. That portion would have a reduced admission charge and would be held on Sunday afternoon. Whether that’s worth an 8 hour drive or not? I could not say. Unfortunately you said you can’t attend Sunday, only Saturday.

Note that NWBrickCon is much more of an exhibition than BrickFest is and has more of the characteristics that might make it more attractive to children in those age groups.

Hope that helps.

Larry Pieniazek
Expo Coordinator, BrickFest PDX 2004, February 13-15, 2004
ILTCO | MichLUG | Milton Train Works™

See you in Portland!