 Events / BrickWorld / 281
Re: LEGO Retail Store Offerings for Brickworld Attendees
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2008 16:24:16 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

snip

   In-Store Events:

Friday June 20, 9 PM to 11 PM at Northbrook Court - event will include a special pick-a-brick offering

Do you have any idea what (beyond pick-a-brick) will be offered here, that will NOT be available with the “Roving Discount”? (why should we wait until 9pm?)

As I understand it. The special pick-a-brick offering will be from 9 PM to 11 PM only for the in-store event. The roving discount is valid for the whole day. So, you wait until 9 PM if you are interested in what the pick-a-brick special is.

snip

   Roving Discount:

We realize many of you have brick related businesses and see this as an opportunity to stock up. The LEGO Group has asked that this opportunity not be used for business purposes but for personal collections only.

Can you explain this? Are they asking us NOT to buy LEGO?!?

I have a large personal collection, and sometimes trade with my friends on-line. This is a great place to pick up extra pieces. Is there a limit to what I’ll be allowed to buy?

TLG hasn’t specifically said they will limit what you buy, though it has been implied that this might be the case. The wording we selected in the original announcement should imply to everyone that if the attendee discount is used for significant business gain in the future that the whole concept of an attendee discount may become a historical fact. We would hate to see this happen.

   Purchases of $150 and above will receive a 20% discount

This sounds lower than the discount in the past. Why is that?

You are correct. Last year we did receive a 25% discount. In years before that, I recall 20% being the discount at large AFOL events.

While I can’t speak to TLG motivation for setting the discount, I am thankful that TLG sees Brickworld as an event worthy of a discount for the attendees. There is no rule that says TLG must provide a discount at all.

Given the present state of the US dollar (weak), TLG margin on products sold in the US is significantly lower than in previous years. So, economically speaking, they probably didn’t have another 5% to give us this year.

Bryan