 Events / BrickWorld / 260
259  |  261
Subject:
Brickworld Mindstorms Event Rules for Trash Wars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 00:09:35 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Ok folks, here we go, the official rules for Trash Wars, one of the Mindstorms
events that will be held at Brickworld (June 19-22, Wheeling, IL).

I think Bryan's original post called it "Garbage Wars", but I like Trash Wars
better, and since I wrote the rules, I'm calling it Trash Wars :-)

So without further ado...
Description of Contest:
  The idea of this competition is for competing robots to rid the trash from
their side of the playing field.  Each side of the playing field will have an
equal number of trash items (red & blue LEGO balls).  Competing robots will try
to rid their side of trash by locating the trash and moving it to their
opponent’s side by lifting, bouncing, or throwing it over the center divider.
The Playing Field:
  Trashwars will be played on a standard First LEGO League playing field (4’ x
8’ playing field with 3 ½” tall walls.  There will be a center divider 8”  high
dividing the playing field into two halves.  The playing surface will have a
gradient from black to white printed on it to aid in navigation.
Starting of a Match:
  Just before the competition starts, competing robots will be placed on their
respective sides and an equal number of trash items (red & blue LEGO balls) will
be placed on each side of the playing field.  Color will not matter; both red
and blue will be on each side.
Rules:
Prior to the start of the competition, the robots will be placed on their
designated side of the playing field.  Exact placement is up to the individual
contestant.  The contestant will be given a starting whistle or other audible
command at which time the controller (NXT, RCX, Spybot, Cybermaster etc) may be
activated. The robots may immediately begin to collect the trash on their side
of the field and move it to their opponent’s side.  The robots can use any
method to move trash from their side to their opponent’s side including lifting,
bouncing, and throwing.  Play will continue in this way until the end of the
round.
The round will last one minute at which time the robots will be stopped and
scoring will begin.  Robots will receive one point for every trash item on their
side of the playing field.  The robot with the FEWEST number of trash items will
win.  If a round results in a tie, a 30 second overtime round will be played
using the same rules.  If the score is again tied at the end of overtime, the
winner will be decided by popular vote of the audience.
Additional General Rules:
‘Bots will not be subject to a weight limit.

Robots must fit within an 18” x 18” square.  There is no height limit.

‘Bots must be constructed of 100% Lego brand parts(see sensors below). No glue,
melting or modification of Lego brand parts is allowed.

Sensors: All LEGO brand sensors as well as commercially available 3rd party
sensor are allowed.

The idea of this competition is to see which robots can most efficiently and
effectively remove the trash from their side of the playing field.  Any robot
simply collecting as much trash as possible and dumping it over at the last
second before time expires will be deemed against the “spirit of the
competition” and will be disqualified.

Balls thrown off table:  If Robot#1 attempts to throw a ball onto their
opponent’s side but instead throws it off the table completely, it will be
placed back onto Robot#1’s side.

Bouncing balls: Balls that bounce and fall off either end of the playing field
will be placed immediately on the side they last bounced.  If Robot#1 throws a
ball onto Robot#2’s side and it then bounces off the table, it will be place
back on Robot#2’s side.

‘Bots must be totally autonomous. Remote controlled ‘bots will be disqualified.

The controller (NXT, RCX, Spybot, Cybermaster etc) may not rely on an external
computer for computational assistance via infrared or wireless communication.

For adherents to the metric system of measurement, please use the 1 inch is
equivalent to 25.4 millimeters conversion for all dimensions given in this
document.

The organizers are not and cannot be held responsible for loss are damage to
contestant’s ‘bots as a result of taking part in this contest. Contestants enter
the competition entirely at their own risk.

I have two graphics of the playing field that I have put in my brickshelf folder
here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JBrost/Brickworld/trashwars1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JBrost/Brickworld/trashwars2.jpg
There is also a word document with the rules in the same folder that will be
available after moderation.

If you have any questions concerning this event, please let me know.  Other
rules for the other events will continue to show up as we finalize them, keep
your eyes open.

John