 Events / BricksWest / 421
Re: Pre-Announcing Off-Road RC Racing Competition at BricksWest 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:16:37 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Ahui Herrera writes:
In lugnet.events.brickswest, David Schilling writes:
I am going to be holding an Off-Road RC racing competition at BricksWest
2003. It will still take me a few days to get the rules together, but I
thought that with the $99 8475's available at Amazon, (see
http://news.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=10246) I'd give people the heads
up, so that if they don't have one yet, but would like to participate, they
can take advantage of this deal.

<Snip>

What about the LEGO Control Racer #5599 that S@H has for $47.99?  Can this
one also be in the competition?  Don't know what the difference between this
one and the 8475 other that size?

-AHui

I don't think that the 5599 would make a good racer. It's turning radius is
pretty poor, it doesn't have anything approaching proportional steering, and
it's only got a single speed.

But worse, there isn't any way of picking up and dropping off the objects
since there isn't an axiliary output on this set.

I also don't know if the radio frequencies will interfere with the other RC
racer.

For these reasons I'm going to disallow using set 5599 as the base for the
RC Off-Road competition. This might limit the number of entries a bit, but I
suspect it wouldn't be viable anyway. There's still time to take advantage
of Amazon's offer for a $97.49 8475, though!

--
  David Schilling