 Events / BricksWest / 390
Re: BricksWest™ 2003 : The Beginning : Part 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:12:10 GMT

"Matthew Gerber" <Matthew@BlockType.com> writes:
1) I am in the process of creating a limited liability corporation to run
the event under, shielding myself (and any one else) from liability for any
aspect of the event. BricksWest will now be a presentation, and trademark,
of the LLC.

Good idea.

I will be using the LLC as an umbrella for several other ventures as well.

What sort of ventures?

As a business entity, certain aspects of the business (especially financal)
will be kept strictly private.

2) Even under the guise of the LLC, the goal for BricksWest will be to break
even. During the last event, this was for my tax liability. Under the new
LLC, it will be an attempt to avoid any bad feelings in the community, as I
don't think anyone should profit from an event created, staffed and run by
volunteers. If there is any budget surplus, however, rest assured that it
will be held and used for future BricksWest events.

I think that in order to avoid the bad feelings you mention, a brief
financial statement after the event would be a good idea.  It should
list the total income and expenses, and any amount over or under
budget.  It would not need to be very detailed, but secrecy here would
be a Bad Idea.

3) We will begin the core organizers mailing list from scratch, so I will
need each person volunteering to help staff, plan or present at BricksWest
to contact me at admin@brickswest.com.
[...]

It's not clear to me how much commitment is necessary for this.  Some
people will be able to offer considerably more time than others.  I
trust you are taking this into account?

--Bill.

                      Verbing weirds language.  --Calvin