 Events / BricksWest / 275
Re: Frank's big BricksWest adventure
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 02:05:34 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Frank Filz writes:
GAMING
------

I think the Pirate Game went well, though it did disappoint Steve
Jackson to some extent. We theoretically had two four hour sessions,
however, both started late and required some delay for setup. The first
night, we had 8 players, each playing a cutter and divided into two
teams. A couple players were frustrated by some of the structure (or
lack thereof) and some of the rules issues (for example, one poor fellow
was given a wrong impression of how much movement he could do and got
stuck with a very short move). We did try and use range sticks made of
LEGO, but didn't start building those early enough. Probably the range
sticks should be built at home.

I think we were all impressed by one of the kids who played who seemed
to quickly grasp the rules. The second day, that kid wanted to play a
bigger ship, and we ended up with him running a class three ship, while
a younger kid, another player from the day before, and Steve each ran a
cutter. This scenario needs some balancing since the large ship always
had to move first and so it was put under many "crossing the T"
situations. Somewhat better strategizing would have made for a closer
game, and I would recommend in the future that this scenario only be
played with a very experienced player running the big ship. Without
that, the big ship probably should be given an expert captain so it has
the same initiative as the cutters.

The short sessions didn't really allow for any of the role playing
potential of the game to come out but the games were still fun to help
run.

Frank

My son is the kid mentioned above above (Daniel is 11). We wanted to thank
Frank and Steve and all the others who played the pirates game. I wanted to
ALSO THANK YOU FOR THE NICE COMMENTS. Daniel had a great time and it was
something that he looked forward to on the trip. If Steve views a victory as
one kid or person turning into a pirate game fan then he has many victories
in this household.

I was going to register for the convention last year however since 0911 my
schedule has turned bad and I thought I would still be overseas during the
week, however I came home two weeks early and showing up was an easy decision.

My family is already looking forward to the Pirate Game in 2003. Daniel
downloaded ALL the material off Steve's Web site and others and we have
ordered several books on tactics and how ship battles were fought and won.
He has talked to several of his friends and I would guess he is forming up a
fleet so the results next year would be different! HE also thinks his Dad
should get more involved and not set on the sidelines.

Knowing my son, Frank and Steve and others had better bring your ""AA GAME"
next year or you are going to get your butts kicked by his fleet crew.

I knew he writting several email to you and Steve on rule issues.

One last note, I really appreciate the way everybody treated him as an equal
and answered all his questions at the pirate game.

Thanks again,

Bill, Cecilia, and Daniel