 Events / BrickFest / 776
Re: Travel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:07:10 GMT

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:3D161873.AA3CE18C@mindspring.com...
I'm going to make my travel plans real soon now. I plan on arriving
Thursday night and leave as late as possible Sunday. One question I have
is what people's feelings on the additional security likely at National.
I plan on either renting a car, or trying to bum a ride. I will be
bringing at least one large cardboard box which will be sealed with
tape, and one thing I don't want to have to hassle with if at all
possible is having to open it. Also, I'm not too inclined to try and
take mass transit because it's a pain to maneuver a large box on a small
hand truck and a rolling duffel.

Frank

Having dealt with security at about 20 differt airports in the US since
September 11th I was pleasantly surprised with my experieces (two trips) to
Washington National.  Security wasn't a problem (based on my own personal
experience, if you want bad security lines, go to Denver or Portland[1]) .

Personally I avoid Washington Dulles at all costs.  Between the People
Movers, the off terminal renatal cars, and the distance from DC, Dulles adds
quite a bit of time to your trip.  IMHO Dulles is one of the most
inefficient (following only Denver and DFW) airports in the US[2].  National
is one of the best.  Of course, if you want a non-stop to or from the west
coast, your only option may be Dulles.

At National the Rental Cars and the Metro are right outside the main
terminal.  From the Hertz Car Return it is about a 10 minute walk to the
American Airlines ticket counter.

FWIW - most airlines consider National and Dulles as part of the same
destination so it is possible to fly into one and out of the other without
changing the price of your ticket[3].

Hope this helps.

Mike

[1] - Frank, since you will be flying from PDX you'll want extra time.  Last
Thursday the line (actually three of them) to get through security was
backed up past the Nike store - about a 45 minute wait.

[2] - I define efficiency as the amount of time from when you walk off the
plane to when you drive out the rental car lot with your or from the time
your return your rental car to the time you get to the ticket counter.
Denver is far and away the worst in my opinion.

[3] - Based on my experiences but with airlines companies you never know.
They introduce some goofy restrictions and selectively enforce them
routinely.

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot

(usually but with airlines tickets there