 Events / BrickFest / 71
Re: Some expansion on the tournament idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 13:28:01 GMT

...I know Christina hasnt thought much about prizes yet (specially since we as
of yet don't even know how many prizes we will have). But I do recall from last
year that we were trying to come up with some event for the castle folks so they
could win some kind of small prize. This castle organized tournament sounds like
a good candidate :-)

...Note for the record, we don't have to give much of a prize for mini-events
like this, its more of the thought that counts kind of thing. We had people
competing over little mini-notepads last year just for the fun of competition
more than the prize...

"Shiri Dori" <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote:

I like the idea of having different tournaments. I bet a lot of people will
join these last-minute, so I think keeping them as cool-but-simple as
possible is best.

If we do go with the "strength points" method as Chris suggests, a good
number would be between 15 and 20, so that the average number of rolls
needed to win would be three, four or five. More than that makes every fight
drag along, IYKWIM.

I still think single-elimination is def'ly the best way to go. We could
always have a "loser's tournament", if people really want to, but I think
it's kinda pointless, y'know? (Maybe if we have a lot of sore losers. ;-)

-Shiri
<trafficpolice> XP to .events.brickfest </trafficpolice>

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Chris Maddison writes:
Hello all,
I've been giving some more thought to the tournament that would happen at
The Gathering at Brickfest 2001.  I got to thinking; we all have been
discussing this a bit, and people are wanting different things.  So, here's
what I toss up to you all.  How about three seperate tournaments, one
jousting, one sword/spear/axe fight, and one wrestling?  People could enter
in any or all of them, but they could not enter the same minifig in each
one.  Still up in the air is how to "score" these, and how to decide
winners.  I like single elimination, and I still have an interesting idea
for scoring.  Every minifig starts off with a set number of "strength"
points (all of the contestants have the same number of points, to be fair).
The human counterparts roll a die in turn, to see how much damage is done
each turn.  When someone depletes the other's fig to 0, they win.

So...whatcha think?

-Chris

---
wubwub