 Events / BrickFest / 601
Re: Anyone for a Celebration of Classic Space at Brickfest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 15:53:39 GMT

Chris,
It's an interesting idea. One that probably deserves some discussion. I'm
sure that as this discussion unfolds, some consensus for the idea will be
revealed. Not that Brickfest last year didn't have enough divergent subjects
as it was mind you. Part of the planning process obviously involves area
available in relation to interest/participation. I know it is early in the
discussion and therefore too early to either encourage or discourage the
possibility. I do think that hypothetically (for example), if it came down
to a choice between "Space" and "Castle" vying for available territory
during Brickfest, "Castle" (Castleworld/The Gathering) would win out at this
time hands down.
The main goal of Brickfest is (to my understanding) to meet people offline
that you have had association with in this and other forums, and to see
MOC's firsthand as well as some historical items and maybe (hopefully) get
great ideas in building techniques from a variety of other theme sources
(and all kinds of other interesting information; from doing train shows to
animation to ldraw, to Lego based gaming, etc.). What I think I'm trying to
convey is that the main idea is to socialize with others that you wouldn't
have much opportunity to meet (unless you're someone like Larry P. who
travels alot), and that though the activities that are associated with
Brickfest (though important) are secondary considerations. The "weight" of a
particular activity is balanced by the main idea of those planning on
attending Brickfest just to attend Brickfest (just because it's cool to
actually see others from behind the written word on a screen) and not
because people are coming specifically to participate in a particular
activity that holds their primary interest. I will say that it is nice when
the 2 coincide, but they may not be totally inclusive.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Rich

--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (My views do not necessarily express the
views of my employer...)

BRICKFEST 2002 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... START MAKING PLANS TODAY.

Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.geocities.com/legoman34.geo/
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Chris Giddens writes:

Hiya, there's a good chance I'll get to attend my first fest this summer
(yay).  I dunno what has really been done towards pumping up space at the
fests or if special rooms have existed for it...
So how about this, a room dedicated to Space, Classic Space, Space MOCs,
Classic Space MOCs, a table of the best classic space sets
*coughmobilerocketlaunchercough* and so on.  Anyone interested?  Lets help
TLC understand the underlying importance that Space had in the past, and how
we'd love to see some Legends (yes I know that possibilty exsists now!).  If
anything wouldn't it be wonderful to have every space set from the 70's on
till now in one room to walk around and view?
Just a thought.

Chris <><