 Events / BrickFest / 1766
Re: BrickFest Pirate Game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:48:07 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

[trimmed ng list to just .brickfest]

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Frank Filz wrote:
Steve Bliss wrote:
We've currently got:

1 Class 2 ship (a stock Cross Bone Clipper)
1 Class 3 ship (a stock Armada Flagship)

The AF needs some modification since it only has one gunport, it really
needs a 2nd. It also gets a rotating cannon.

I'll see what we can do about that. :)

1 Class 6 ship (a stock BSB)

A BSB is actually Class 7 (or did you mean a RBR, which is Class 6).

It is a BSB -- I just lost my mind.

1 Class 7 ship (a custom (hurray for Jamie!))

Is this 3 or 4 center sections?

3 wide center sections.  We had a 4th section, but the dog ate it.

Bad dog!

We don't have ship record sheets for
Class 8 4 center section wide ships. We also are unlikely to use such
big ships (even if we do a battle game). However, all MOCs are
definitely welcome for display (and scaring people...).

So you don't want the class 7 ships, or you don't want class 8 ships?

I have never come close to using class 7 ships in the game. I would like
to at some point, but it's unlikely. More on this below. Additionally,
class 8 doesn't have a standard record sheet for it.

If you need, we could probably construct a few cutters, and maybe one or
two brigs.

Brigs would be much more useful than cutters (I have plenty of cutters,
but we never seem to have enough class 2 ships).

Hmm.  We've got 4 sets of regular ship hulls, but only 2 center
sections.  We've also got a few sets of the 10-wide bow bricks & plates,
        http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2621
        http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2622
        http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2623
Which I see Steve Jackson tags for scratch-building brigs.  I might get
the boys to put these together into *something*.  I can't promise
anything, though.

Remember a class 2 ship is no center sections, so you're golden for a
bunch of class 2 ships. The 10-wide parts can be made into decent class
2 ships also (my "brig" has a similar deck area to a regular class 2
ship, Steve Jackson tells me his are smaller though - I'm waiting for
some pictures).

Help me out here -- considering my limited time and lego-pirate
resources, can you prioritize your ship wants/needs?

Class 2 and class 3 ships would be most valuable. That's what we always
run out of. Some class 4 and 5 ships would be nice in case we get there.
I seriously doubt we will use class 6 and up ships, though one of these
days I will run a big battle game with them. That is likely to be a game
at GenCon rather than at BrickFest (there's always a balancing act
between time spent on gaming at brick cons and time spent on other
things).

Are there instructions/ideas available for scratch-building masts?

Steve Jackson has some ideas on his page.

Found it, <http://www.io.com/~sj/cutters.html>.  Very cool, thank you
for pointing those out!

Steve