 Events / 2598
Re: Fan Events Vendors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:29:55 GMT

In lugnet.events, Ted Godwin wrote:
Perhaps costs have increased along with the profitability of vendor tables?

I don't run a con and I only have experience as an attendee at BrickCon in
Seattle but I have been going since 2006 and paying attention. From 2006 - 2009
the event moved to a much larger venue (which costs more) and increased the
number of attendees and visitors which made being a vendor more profitable as
all those kids and their parents are able to shop at the Brick Bazaar.

The economy may have tanked but this secondary LEGO market has only begun to be
explored. As well, this sort of market can thrive even in adversity as it fills
a niche for targeted spending as people look to focus their spending on good
quality products for good prices that provide very specific play-value. In a
booming economy parents will buy all kinds of junk for kids; in a crappy economy
they pay more attention.

Very good points, Ted.

What I can tell you from my perspective is this...I have no problems paying a
little extra if the venue has been upgraded.  This is expected.  Beyond that, I
can tell you that we have had to discontinue several sets due to price jumps.

Take our houses for example.  They were "in-line" with our price points when
they first came out and remained as such for about 4 years.  When I re-ran the
cost analysis on them, I found that to continue production and keeping the same
pricing on them would lead to a LOSS of approximately $25/set.  That loss was
just on parts and packaging...it didn't even include a cost on time.

I think that with the economy going downward, people are tying to make up their
market losses elsewhere. ;)