 Events / 2489
2488  |  2490
Subject:
BrickFair thanks you!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:22:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

BrickFair thanks you!

Well folks, our event was a huge hit by almost any measure. BrickFair had 402 registrants (not counting the 58 confused public people who thought they had to register). Some even walked in Saturday afternoon to register. We had 447 registered MOCs (plus who-knows how many unregistered), BrickFilms, silent auction, 11 seminars, Free-Build, and 7 vendors spread across 24,514 square feet.

We ran a Washington Post ad in the “Kids” section on Thursday, plus the Washington Post ran an article in the “Weekend” section on Friday, plus they ran another article in “Style” on Saturday. Wow! And FOX-5 News was on-site Friday morning from 7am to 9am LIVE. They interviewed Rich Schamus (our Volunteer Coordinator), Alvin Brant (giant crane guy), Steve Hassenplug (Mindstorms), Sam Forker (Skeetball game) and Ron McRae (slot machine). Several other publications were on hand including “Somewhat Frank” and GAMES magazine.

There was another post-event article on the front of the Washington Post “Business” section yesterday, Sunday 9/7/08.

The public responded. We had 5,000 wristbands ready -- and we used them all the first day. In the end over 10,000 public visitors lined up around the building to get in. Ken Rice and scads of other volunteers kept 3 lines flowing all day, so the line always moved smoothly -- there wasn’t a single complaint about the 15-minute line.

We had a great time, and raised $8,717 for our children’s charity, www.SladeChild.org. Apparently we crossed some magic charitable number drawing a PayPal investigation. I take that as a compliment to our fundraising success.

We felt a little light in the MOC department, but it was noticable only to a few AFOLs. The public had a great time, as evidenced by the comments on their raffle forms. And I am personally honored that, from what I’ve heard so far, our theme leaders and volunteers had a great time too.

No doubt, the lobby of the Sheraton Premiere was a bottleneck on Saturday. But that provided lots of opportunities to see the tiny smiling faces shuffling back and forth from the grand ballroom to the auxilary rooms. The BIONICLE people, all showing in the lobby, were very cool folks; they were a great “front man” for the public’s introduction to the show!

I was blessed with a great team of volunteers who worked hard and seemed to have fun doing it. I would be lucky to have the same team and the same “problems” next year. But of course, we’re going to try to smooth out the wrinkles anyways :) Like the online voting thing -- yes, we’ll make Internet more available for all. And we’ll improve the MOC cards so you don’t need 20/10 vision to read them.

The Sheraton was blown away. Their restaurant ran out of soda and several food items. They are eager for our return, and return we shall. We have already agreed to next year. Mark your calendars for BrickFair 2009, August 21-23. That’s one week earlier, but two weeks prior to Labor Day.

Thank you all for being a part of the show!
Todd and the BrickFair Team