 Events / 1948
1947  |  1949
Subject:
LEGO Adult Fans and Conventions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 05:09:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I think that Geoff has really got something there. Please allow me to take a
stab at it.

In my life it always seems to boil down to relationships, which inevitably means
interpersonal communications.  And that seems to always boil down to treating
people the same way you expect or maybe feel that you deserve or even long for.
So if you really want to others to listen to you then first listen to them. If
you desire others to take the time it is often necessary to appreciate your MOC
then do the same for them. If you long for others to respect and support you in
your efforts then you must respect and support them.

I am often reminded that the best leaders are those that lead out of servitude.
Of course having a strong sense of direction and charisma are necessary but when
you spend your efforts as a leder in helping those that have chosen to follow
you you’re certain to have an immense strength in your team and an empowered
staff where they find they are operating at levels they didn’t know they could
achieve.

There is one other curious effect this community has and that it the
teleportation back to childhood. One universal theme that seems to come up is
how LEGO has the power to transport us back to a time where life was simpler and
less stressful. A time where we had a sense of unconditional love from our
family. A time where our creations (and as an extension us) where praised. Which
as an AFOL if not carefully monitored could backfire. Where sometimes
expectations of the this fragile online community can over burden it, weigh it
down and under that weight even crush that in which we care about and draw so
much from.

I have had the tremendous support of my local club the GPLR, and the PNLTC and
my extended online “long distance” friends. Where after nearly 10 years in this
hobby these guys have become some of my closet and dearest 3:00AM friends that I
have (and this was just tested when Kelly brought me to the airport at nearly
3:00AM just a few days ago!!!). Not because we all love to play with LEGO but
the relationships that have formed over the years are real, mature, and built on
mutual respect and a genuine genderless brotherhood.

I find it hard often to take the time to genuinely be interested in my family
and friend’s lives. But through the grace of those that I cherish the most I
still have relationships that I get to work hard at.

Play well..
SteveB