 Events / 1924
Re: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:20:39 GMT

In lugnet.events, Todd Thuma wrote:
In lugnet.events, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
There is of course financial risk involved, but with proper advertising, public
day can be the hedge. BricksWest 2003 did not pay its bills (as well I know)
because it did not have that extra source of income. And it might have even been
a hindrance to having it at LegoLand as why would the public want to pay to see • Tommy and for others,

The sad reality is that the individual incharge of BricksWest had the money
through registration, but absconded with the cash leaving those owed in the
lurch. This experience illustrated to me why all of the AFOL conventions need to
be open book affairs, where everyone is aware of where the money is going and
who is profiting or out-of-pocket.

I agree with many of your points. The reason I made this post was to seek out
this kind of comment, and it worked.

I definitely think that if a convention for Adult Fans of LEGO were held at the
park it would be different from BrickFest. For me, the attraction is the park
and the AFOLs mutually enjoying it. I think the park should help defray the
costs and make it pallatable for us to be there.

Either way--but it would be different. I thought the LegoLand part of BricksWest
was the weakest but many AFOL's like LL. I have been to Carlsbad and Billund
--skipped Windsor, and as for myself, I would rather spend the time in the main
hall at BrickFest. Just my opinion--the stuff you AFOL's do is to me is so much
cooler. Now if there were a convention center at LL like the LegoLand hotel in
Billund, that might be a different matter. If there are plans maybe should put
them off till then. establish it somewhere else in the area and then go there
for a year.

Thanks for the input. Sorry you got stiffed. I wish there was someway to get you
paid.

It was really my fault for delivering before payment.  That is what the purpose
of COD (or a good contract) is. And anyway, the person that stiffed me did take
a chance on my idea so in long run worked out OK for me. Probably better for me
than everyone else that got "stiffed".

What I am more worried about is that this whole money thing--expectation of
complete disclosure, etc.will limit an enterprising person who wants to take on
the risks of the task.

What I would like to see would be to have say 3 or 4 granddaddy shows, like
NWBrickCon, BrickFEst, West Coast, and say PDX and maybe one in mid America. I
think the community could support that as all seem to be growing. They would be
regional but also national. Then a series of smaller local ones. This is really
what is happening from my reading--but there is a lot of experience out there
now that could be shared.

One thing I AM certain of is that there can only be one Captain Piccard, one
person that is ultimately in charge of the enterprise. Just as there can be only
one head coach and one quarterback.

So Todd I look forward to seeing you in Southern California????

Tommy