 Events / 1920
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:10:06 GMT

In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote:
This reply is not targeted at Jake or any specific person.  It was just
convenient to reply to Jake's post.

Well, I thought I'd be done with this thread, but it looks like I'm going to
have to put out a fire before it explodes.  I really don't want to log on to
lugnet and find someone belittling me saying "I can't believe you said that,
you're a moron for thinking that cause I was there and you weren't."

For some reason people are taking this sentance:

"Quite honestly I can't see how any one person spends thousands of man hours on
putting a single Brickfest together"

To mean:

"Putting on Brickfest is easy and a monkey can do it."

If someone worked 8 hours a day, every day, it would take them 125 days to reach
1,000 hours.  Any organizer of a Brickfest-scale event that works that hard is
not utilizing their time wisely, especially since Brickfest is put on by a horde
of volunteers.

I'll believe it takes the head-organizer 100 hours to put on a brickfest.  I'll
even believe 200.

Has Christina spent a cumulative "thousands of hours" on the events in the
history of Brickfest?  I dunno.

But anyone expecting me to believe that any ONE person spends A THOUSAND hours
on ONE Brickfest is severely overestimating my gullability.

Some people seem to think they know every thing I've ever done, and seem to
think I have never been involved with organizing an event.  Some people claim to
know my every thought and detail in my head.  Sucks to be them.

--Anthony

Anthony,

I appreciate your attempts to calculate the amount of hours an organizer might
put into an event. Indeed it is difficult to fathom the number of hours a person
is willing to contribute to something.

Allow me a moment to quantify the number hours I put into another hobby of mine.
Many know that I volunteer with the Coast Guard Auxiliary. We are required,
though many volunteers fail to do it, to report the amount of time we put in to
the effort. There is an award given to each individual that racks up 750 hours
each year. To break that down into a relative amount of time that is over 2
hours per day, for 365 days in a single year. In the past I have failed to count
my time on task adequately. I have estimated hours and failed to account for the
many 5 and 10 minute phone calls where I am on the job. Of course, all of my
on-the-water time is accurately recorded so that my tasks with Coast Guard
support, Search-and-Rescue, boating safety, and public education are recorded
for the limited amount of funding that the Auxiliary receives. Despite this I
have three years consecutively received the award.

This year, however, I set myself a personal goal that I am happy to report I
have been dillegent about recording my hours. To date, I have nearly 1100 hours
and it is only September. I have spent at least 1 hour each evening responding
to email from many Auxiliarist and Active duty personnel that I have had the
pleasure to work with. I have attended 3 training sessions where I was principle
insructor. Each session earns me about 100 hours, not counting the 5 to 6 hours
of sleep I get over the 5 day training. Of course, there is the pre-course
preparation and contacting of students. There is the post class assignments that
are graded. There is the January pre-training insrtuctor meeting where we work
out the details of the course for the year. Ultimately, the USCG could not
afford me if they paid me. I would be paid at the GS13 or 15 level for the work
I do for them. And of course, I am one of the more involved individuals, but by
no means a top hours getter. There are men and women who go on a 8 hour patrol
everyday of the week keeping this nation safe and the boater out of trouble.

So your estimate of 100 or 200 hours to organize an event is completely off the
mark. It is possible to do that each month for a year before the event comes
off. I dare say that if the head organizer limited themselves to that many hours
over the course of a year, the event would SUCK, big time.

So while I appreciate your estimate, please do not feel I am coming down hard on
you. I simply wish to impress upon you how naive and wrong you come across on
this to others. I hope Joe or Christina, or any other organizer will chime in.
Or perhaps they are too put off by your low estimate of the work they have put
in for all of us.

Sincerely and with all due respect,

Todd Thuma