 Events / 1904
Re: BrickFest registration fees
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:54:09 GMT

Anthony Sava wrote:

I'm sorry but the minute an organizer of Brickfest starts making money off of
the event itself, compensation or not, I'm not going.  If this was the case this
year, I'm glad I didn't go.

I don't think anyone got paid, but if they did, I wouldn't be upset.

Yes, there are groups making money off of Brickfest - the hotels, the brick
bazaar sellers, etc.  But Brickfest itself is supposed to be about the
comraderie, as you said.  Quite honestly I can't see how any one person spends
thousands of man hours on putting a single Brickfest together - all of the
events are fan-driven with the exception of the big group meeting/LEGO Q&A.
Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of behind-the-scenes stuff, but last I looked
every theme had its' own volunteer organizer(s), so that just leaves organizing
the event as a whole.

*"Just"*?

You really have no clue whatsoever on the difficulty of organizing such
an event, do you?  Until you do it yourself (on BF's current scale), do
NOT complain about or belittle the amount of time it takes.

Now let's say for the sake of argument that the Brickfest organizers are making
a profit from Brickfest.  Brickfest has now become no better than a zoo.

Brickfest invites AFOLs to attend.  They pay their dues, part of which, as we've
decided for arguments sake goes right into the organizer's pocket.  Certain
AFOLs then decide to take on even more responsibility and volunteer their
services to do the Brickfest organizer's job in organizing the different themes
of the event for no compensation.

And then Brickfest invites the public, who also pay their dues, to come see
what?  The AFOLs creations, which would not be there if the AFOLs had not come.
So the public pays their dues, comes in and looks at all the animals in their
cages, I mean, AFOLs and their creations.  A for-profit organization in this
situation is getting money from three sources: The public, The exihibits, and
the help (by saving money by not paying the help). •  >
In essence, the attending AFOLs are making money for the Brickfest organizers
without making money for themselves.  They are a perverted combination of zoo
exhibit, natural resource and employee.

A not-for-profit organization, however, would be getting a boost of
reembursement from the public, as well as reenbursement from the exhibits, and a
load off their backs by getting volunteer help.

The difference is a side-show versus a public exhibition.

You don't really understand not-for-profit organizations, do you?  They
can still pay wages to employees (any decently-sized NFP HAS to, in
order to keep people around consistently enough to get things done).

Not that I think anyone at BF is getting compensated, mind you.  But
even if they were, if the BF org was an NFP, they could *still* pay some
wages to people.

--
Tom Stangl
* http://www.vfaq.com/