 Events / 1891
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 17:28:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well, agree or not, Anthony's making a valid point. Some AFOLs may feel used or
exploited if the event is a for-profit one, while others don't mind, so long as
they get their money's worth.

I think the problem is that people don't know. I guess that's kind of disturbing
in retrospect, and it would be nice if we could have some insight from Christina
about years past (or Joe about this year although I think he's already agreed to
make things more transparent, and commented in this thread on it already:
http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=1876 ).

Personally, I don't mind if the organizers get compensated for their time, since
it's a HUGE effort on their part. But it would be nice to know that that
compensation isn't abused at the expense of future BrickFests. Essentially,
there's a difference between saying "I'm going to keep all the profit" and "I'll
compensate myself with up to $5,000 of the proceeds" and "I'll divide up 50% of
the profits between the main event coordinators". Or whatever. I'd like to know
that BrickFest as an entity is keeping a degree of its profits so that it can
continue to exist and grow.

Not that I'm terribly worried about it. I don't think Christina or Joe has
walked off with all the profit from these events. I've got pretty good
confidence that they've been honest and that if they *have* compensated
themselves with BrickFest funds, that it hasn't been outrageous and hasn't
sacrificed BrickFest's future. But, for those people out there like Anthony who
DO feel like they may be being used, I'm sure it would help to ease their minds
by making things more out in the open.

DaveE