 Events / 1101
1100  |  1102
Subject:
PDX Highlights
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:36:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

PDX was epic! and here are a few random highlights of the weekend in no
particular order.  A big thanks to everyone involved in creating such a great
event.

+ Being drawin into the hallway by Todd L, Tim C, and Jon P, (in various stages
of intoxication) at 2am, and shown the disturbing sight behind the door to room
221.  It was kind of like that scene in the Shining with the zombie-chick in the
bathtub, but worse.

+ Meeting Tom Rafert and family, Mark Neumann, The Space Paparazzi, Teunis, The
wacky Germans, Bruce L, Lenny, Chris S-Young, Ryan Wood, Chris Binkley, Jake,
Jon, Mark Sandlin and all the rest of the AFOL disfunctional family tree.

+ Getting liquored up with many of the above mentioned people, espcecially Jon,
who is a true connoisseur of bad cinema.

+ Winning the best large space award, designed by Jon P.  It tasted like a
mixture of cough syrup and cheap gin, but the award itslef looked better than
some of the mocs present (SMACK).

+ Watching the mom-smack spiral out of control

+ The mocs...its all about the mocs...the blood cathedral, the moonbase
smoke-spewing mountain, Chiles' Rollercoaster, Tom R's castle layout, Lenny's
castle layout, the Michon's building...too many to name.  Oh, and getting to
fondle, and occaisionally break some of the best space mocs ever created.

+ Four days and three nights of sweet, sweet lovin' with Derek Schin's mom.

+ An ill-advised late night oddyssey to a convenience store with Ryan R, and
Mark Neumann...we narrowly escaped with our lives after encountering
crack-heads, beatniks, and vampires.  Gotta love downtown Portland.

+ Lenny's brief but moving comments about the loss of Travis Kunce

+ The animation presentation

+ The mosaic event, and final product...sadly, because of the incompetence of my
Partner Ryan R, we came in a dismal 6th place.  Only the Reverend limped across
the finish line after we did.

+  All the smack centering around everyone's favorite computer simulation.

+ The look on one of the German's face (don't remember if it was Rene or Holger,
I was pretty lit up at the time) when I returned his lost and cherished Schleim
minifig.  It was a one in a million chance that I spotted it in a planter
outside the convention center.

+ Mark Neumann's involved and frighteningly plausible theory about the vampire
problem in Portland.  See him for details.

+ Speaking of Mark Neumann, a great guy if there ever was one, the HAMMER was a
jaw-dropping moc that was truly an honor to behold.  With all due respect, and
mad props to Adrian Drake for the Turkey Mech, the Hammer should have taken the
award for best mecha.  The Turkey is awesome, but its been around for a while
now, and the Hammer was magnificent.  It was only the integrity of the judge
(Mark)that prevented the Hammer for getting its just reward.

+ Watching Jake M. say with a straight face that the old gray wasn't "really
lego".  Jake is a great guy, and the rest of his speech was money, but that one
comment left a bunch of us malcontents in the back shaking our heads in
disbelief.

+ Recieved the inaugural, and highly coveted Brammy Award.  I had no idea what a
handsome man "Brom" is.  No, you can't touch it, and yes I'll take a pic of the
award on its bathroom shelf of honor, when I retrieve it from Derek Schin's
garage.

+ Special thanks to Derek Schin for the use of his mom, and safely transporting
the Ghoul to Portland.  If you want to go back to portland and hunt down the
crack-head who smashed your window and took your camera, I'm on board.

+ Special thanks to Mark Sandlin for not taking me out with his Shillelagh, when
I lost control of my ocular muscles due to excessive drink.

I think that about covers it, PDX was a blast.
-Keith