 Events / 1000steine-Land / 6
Re: Visiting Berlin for 1000steine-Land, need help planning trip
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.1000steine-land
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 01:54:40 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

I'll be taking a week or two in June/July for 1000steine-Land 2004 in
Berlin, and I'm wondering what is the best (most economical) way to do
this.  I live in Boston and would like to leave Boston approximately
June 25 in the evening and return to Boston approximately July 12 in
the morning.

Friends here say I might find much better airfaires if I fly, say, KLM
to Amsterdam and take the train to Berlin and back or ride with someone
who is driving to the fest from Amsterdam, Frankfurt, or some other
relatively nearby city.

Frankfurt-Berlin is a simple travel, dunno about pricing though.
Amsterdam - Berlin is a lot longer and less comfortable and not very cheap
either.

I'll be at 1000steine-Land as a photographer, working on a large coffee-
table art/book project I began over a year ago which is designed to expose
the general public to the amazing things adult LEGO enthusiasts build and
do.  Ideally, I'd like to meet with German LEGO fans before and after the
event, and if possible kind of float around nearby cities visiting people
in any or all of the Netherlands, Italy, France, Austria, Switzerland,
etc. I'll also be visiting the Netherlands later in the year for LEGO
World and hope to make it to Denmark to visit Byggepladen perhaps in the
same trip.

Is anyone here from the Netherlands driving to Berlin, and would you
consider taking a passenger?  Are there other economical alternatives
besides Amsterdam?  Is the train expensive from Amsterdam to Germany?
Do I have to get a separate visa for each country I visit, or can I get
a two-week EU visa?  Where would be a good place for me to research all
of this online?

Train for Amsterdam to Berlin would set you back around 100-150 Euro's for a
single trip. Dunno about visa, ask the Dutch&German embassies in the USA,
although I think a general EU should do (you won't have any customs offices
unless you travel by train inside the EU)

Alternatives : none that I know of in the Netherlands, Amsterdam is the only
international airport of significance.

Hope this helps a bit. If you need any more specific info regarding
traintravel in the netherlands or anything similair, feel free to email me.
And if you're in the Netherlands drop me a note, perhaps we can arrange a
get-together? Always nice to talk to LEGO fans from other countries.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit