 Education / 82
81  |  83
Subject:
DUPLO Egg Gardening
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun.holiday, lugnet.edu, lugnet.promo, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:26:14 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Child and their DUPLO figs can watch a mini greenhouse perform magic!
see photo:
   http://www.baseplate.com/ideas/human-scale/sprouter/

The DUPLO Egg as a Super seed starter:

- easy open and close.
- short base (don't need much soil), but tall clear top.
- tiny drainage holes.
- air holes that can be covered or open. try using a DUPLO flower brick.
- once seedlings are ready to transplant, soil pops out easily from cup
  shape.
- color coded bases distinguish seed varieties. or which kids' greenhouse.
- until sprouting, can play with vines and flower bricks in anticipation.
- easy to clean and reuse. sturdy construction too.

Ideas for kids -- home or classroom:
------------------------------------
Seed starting is always a great exercise in patience and filled with reward.
Spring being here, it's a perfect time for such an activity.

* Hand out "mystery seeds" for planting (what will it be?)
* Plant 1 each of 3 different seed-types per egg (notice difference)
* See moisture build up, cloud formation- what is a cloud?
* Track days until sprouting- how does the seed know what to do?
* What was the success ratio of your seeds/sprouts?
* How is an egg like a seed? How are they different?
* Observe shape of first leaves vs second set- compare to original seed
  shape
* How much water is right? how much air? how much sun? How come?
* Measure seedlings each day and build a "bar graph" with 2x2 DUPLO bricks,
  alternating color each day. Are some days faster than others? compare your
  results with others'

Try to think of other ways to incorporate DUPLO...
When the plants are grown, will your DUPLO Dinos visit this 'jungle' outside?
Which dinos would want to eat the plants?...

-Suz