 Education / 237
Re: Permission Req'd for Education?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:31:13 GMT

In lugnet.edu, Darrell Urbien wrote:
   Hi,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful and informative response. You basically confirmed what I had suspected - better for me to get permission before I include unauthorized AFOL imagery in my class material. But given the web-savvy most students have, perhaps links will be enough anyway.

In lugnet.edu, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:

   Anyone is allowed to take small exerpts of copyrighted works (such as a chart in a handout) and use them for various things. So, when this happens in college classes its not illegal.

Are you sure? I know of several instructors who go to elaborate means to avoid “reproducing” things like charts out of textbooks - such as recreating huge tables with only slight changes to text/color. This occurred after several other instructors were chastised for duplicating parts of industrial catalogs and training manuals within their handout packets. Maybe just an overreaction?

I think just an overreation. I know if you ask the publisher, they will typically say, “No!” and inside the book cover it says you cannot reproduce anything, but the fair use doctrine says otherwise. You would have to copy a lot from a book to be really infringing. Publishers do this to try and prevent people from copying whole books since for some people if you give an inch they take a mile. In this case, all your asking for is the inch, and that is considered fair use.

One reason college professors do it more often may be because most research colleges have intellectual property lawyers (mostly for filing patents) and so the professors tend to be more enlightened as to their real intellectual property rights. Also, even professors who don’t file patents are almost always authors themselves, and probably take time to know what can be copied and what can’t.

Now, if your boss is someone who overreacts to this sort of thing, I can’t help you. :)

I hope this little bit helps.

-Alfred

It did, yes. Thank you.

Darrell