 Education / 236
Re: Permission Req'd for Education?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:39:59 GMT

Hi,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful and informative response. You basically confirmed what I had suspected - better for me to get permission before I include unauthorized AFOL imagery in my class material. But given the web-savvy most students have, perhaps links will be enough anyway.

In lugnet.edu, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:

   Anyone is allowed to take small exerpts of copyrighted works (such as a chart in a handout) and use them for various things. So, when this happens in college classes its not illegal.

Are you sure? I know of several instructors who go to elaborate means to avoid “reproducing” things like charts out of textbooks - such as recreating huge tables with only slight changes to text/color. This occurred after several other instructors were chastised for duplicating parts of industrial catalogs and training manuals within their handout packets. Maybe just an overreaction?

I hope this little bit helps.

-Alfred

It did, yes. Thank you.

Darrell