 Duplo / 99
Re: Winnies A Pooh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:12:23 GMT

In lugnet.duplo, Karen Barlow writes:
Rachel Kingston <Kingston@spirit.com.au> wrote in article
OK thats my thoughts, I have been collecting Duplo for years, have an
enormous amount of it and still more to arrive, but apart from the • Sherriff Jake
2434 I have purchased nothing from the 1999 catalogue."
Lets hope that the 2000 range gives us a return to the old quality and
themes >Otherwise I for one will be considering that Duplo is dead, and
will  continue my >quest for all those elusive older sets, and ignore the
new."
K.G.Barlow writes:

I was also VERY disappointed with the 1999 Duplo line. I have been avoiding
it like the plague since I bought the Rescue Centre set with the combined
Police and Fire elements. Sorry to say it but I thought it was a DUD set. I
think the vehicles are not as good in quality ... I also perceived them to
be more flimsy than the original heavy duty, can take anything a kid dishes
out quality you expect from Duplo. My daughter who plays with her Duplo
constantly also tends to leave that set alone and opts for the original
fire Station and Police Houses with the "block" style buildings.I have been
buying "old" duplo sets for a few years now as the older themes are far
Karen Barlow <kgb1968@yahoo.com>
http://www.geocities.com/kgb1968

(snipped a very good post, sorry, if you haven't read it, go find it!)

Hear Hear!!!!!
Great to hear from someone who tells it like it is.
Actually I reread part of my original post that states that I had purchsed
nothing from the 1999 catalogue (in Duplo) besides the Sherriff Jake.
However that wasnt strictly true, I have actually also purchased the
fire/police station and the construction vehicles. (although I have poured
wrath on the poor quality of all these items in earlier posts)
I too,  was appalled with the nose dive in quality and lack of forethought
that went into the fire/police station. (but I won't go on about it again,
promise.) Also have to add to the general disgust by saying that the
preprinted fire and police text on the front of those awkwardly shaped rounded
buildings makes it very difficult to do much else with them either. A rounded
facade element in itself could've been incorporated into other buildings,
however, the addition of "fire" written on one and "police" on the other,
kinda spoils that idea a little.

The recent post I made on the new 2000 sets, showed my further disappointment,
The Return of Toolo, is a brilliant idea. As is the return of a (single)
clown, and the new passenger train, (this is a dead ringer for the playmobile
one.) A great addition, now we need some more playmobile look-alikes, how
about a red/black steam train, overhead crane, signals, decent platform, open
freight wagon, luggage trolley. (playmobile does all of these items)
maybe with washrooms/ticket box/ turnstiles, coal truck, restaurant car,
Playmobile doesnt do these, (just my personal fantasies.) maybe a better
reason for Duplo to do them.

However I was really disapointed in the lack of vision to merely revisit these
themes and provide no new themes, for the year 2000.
The return of the above sets I heartily applaud, but a new animal or two at
the least, wouldve been nice also. (how about a rhino, dolphin, shark,
octopus, leopard, deer, zebra, a few more dogs and cats)

Howabout a new kind of house, why, oh why did they decide we need another
house like the new 2000 one? Just like all the rest. Couldn't they have come
up with something better than that? Same colors, same furniture, same design
same, same, same, same, Boring!!

Why another house at all? Why not a petrol station (haven't done one of those
for about 10 years) What about a shop? selling maybe clothes, or food, hey,
what about a restaurant!

Hey TLC, if you have any jobs going for Kaz or myself, we could do the
conceptual and design stuff with our eyes closed!!! Just let us know when you
want us to start! (now that'd be something to give up your day job for!)

Oh well, I've frustrated myself enough with these flights of fantasy,
more later.....

Rachel :-)