 Duplo / 736
Re: Why is inner rail smooth on Duplo track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:32:41 GMT

Joe Strout wrote:
My son has spend his allowance on a couple of the new Thomas sets
(Percy and James).  James comes with one piece of curved track (along
with others including a switch).

I've noticed that all the Duplo track that's come with these sets has
a ribbed texture on the rails, with the exception of the curved track
- that's ribbed on the outside rail, like everything else, but the
inside rail is smooth.

This has been puzzling me.  Can anyone think of a reason why the
inside rail of a curve piece should be smooth rather than textured?

The texture is to improve traction. However, without a differential (which
have been tried on trains and failed), one wheel on an axle needs to be able
to slip in a curve since the rotational speeds are different for the
different radii that each wheel traverses. Because of this, it's important
for one of the rails in a curve to not have the traction enhancing texture.

Frank