 Duplo / 735
Re: Why is inner rail smooth on Duplo track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 21:51:47 GMT

In lugnet.duplo, Ralph Hempel wrote:
   Is it to prevent the toothed drive wheels from skipping?

The outer wheel turns more times than the inner as is goes around the curve.

Ralph

Joe Strout wrote:
   My son has spend his allowance on a couple of the new Thomas sets (Percy and James). James comes with one piece of curved track (along with others including a switch).

I’ve noticed that all the Duplo track that’s come with these sets has a ribbed texture on the rails, with the exception of the curved track – that’s ribbed on the outside rail, like everything else, but the inside rail is smooth.

This has been puzzling me. Can anyone think of a reason why the inside rail of a curve piece should be smooth rather than textured?

Thanks,
– Joe

The old Lego track (12V and 4.5V) was like this too.

tim