 Duplo / 618
Re: When did Duplo blocks switch from Lego to Duplo?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:53:34 GMT

In lugnet.duplo, Cynthia Baumann wrote:
I just discovered this wonderful website! ***

My son has outgrown his duplo blocks and I'm getting ready to sell them to buy
him regular Legos. Some were bought new for him, some were yardsale finds. Some
are complete sets, most are loose basic bricks. ***

I realized we have a bunch that say Lego inside the little circles on the
brincks--not Duplo like the newer ones. When did this change take place? I want
to be able to give as much info as possible when I sell them. Any other tips I
should know?  Thanks for your help!

Hi Cynthia, While I don't know exactly when the bricks began saying DUPLO inside
the studs (my guess is the late 80's), from what I understand they have switched
back to saying LEGO once again (this appears to have been happening gradually
since they changed from the name DUPLO to Explore).  If your old bricks are like
mine you shouldn't have any trouble distinguishing, as DUPLO bricks tend to
really get played with! :-)

As for tips on selling them, there isn't as great a market for DUPLO bricks as
there is for LEGO. (I think very few people would even notice the differences
you mentioned-- probably only half a dozen or so people on Lugnet are even aware
or care!) In addition people tend to be shocked at shipping expenses if they buy
large quantities of DUPLO bricks.  If you are selling them in an international
market you might warn customers of the expense.  Also double check to make sure
you don't have "clone" bricks-- other brands such as MegaBloks, Tyco (which I
think are just as good quality but the filled in studs interfere with
connectability), etc.-- mixed in the lot.

You might research sites like BrickLink to see what the sets you have go for.
And special non-brick elements, especially minifigs and animals, are charming
and do have more of a following-- you could consider listing them separately.
If you have Pilchard the Cat from Bob the Builder, definitely list it
separately-- you might even sell that through the buy-sell-trade newsgroup here!
Spot the Dog is also in demand (do a news search of "Spamcake Diner" here and
you'll see why).

Hope some of this helps (I could go on and on but I'll stop!)--

Wait, one more thing-- if your kid is into building large landscapes you may
want to hang on to the green bricks for filler.

Maggie C.