 Duplo / 554
553  |  555
Subject:
LEGO Explore and independent toy sellers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo, lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:04:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I came across a 2-page piece in the June 2002 issue of "Specialty Toys &
Gifts." It's by Carrie Casaceli, who's spokeswoman for the Americas
panel of LLI (the LEGO Learning Institute). The article isn't online, so
I'll quote some of it here. Much of it just describes the Explore line
and its positive potential in child development, etc.

title:
"LEGO Lays Foundation for Strong Relationship with Independents"

   [...] For the first time, LEGO is providing product exclusively
   to specialty and independant toy dealers for retail sale in the
   U.S. with LEGO Explore: The Complete Discovery System."

I'm not exactly sure what this means.. is it maybe only a few sets? I
haven't actually seen any of the NEW, new sets in Wal-Mart or TRU yet..
I've seen new Bob the Builder, yes, but nothing like the new music
construction sets. but I think they're not even due out yet anyhow.

Near the end of the article, she repeats:

   [...] LEGO is pleased to provide LEGO Explore exclusively for retail
   sale to specialty and independent dealers in the U.S."

'for retail sale to dealers' (?) I assume this means, 'for sale to
resale dealers.'

A quote from Andrew Black, who's the LEGO America president, shows what
TLC is up to:

   "... partnering with independent toy dealers on our preschool line
   is an excellent way to reach today's discerning parents and build
   awareness for the importance of quality play experiences."

This sounds pretty smart. I know I've witnessed, in places like
Wal-Mart, parents not wanting to spend a whole lot of money on the toys
for their young preschoolers. I've seen small selections of DUPLO and
PRIMO sit for ages on shelves in TRU.. So now it's being re-invented as
an 'educational toy' and sold where that's traditionally sold.

I wonder how many shoppers will be shut out of availability this way..
or maybe this'll just put it in the Imaginarium section.

Of course, this is all being pitched as TLC's big renewed commitment to
specialty stores. BTW, they're doing this in consultation with ASTRA,
the American Specialty Toy Retailing Association.

   [...] LEGO is exploring better ways to service and support the needs
   of specialty toy dealers - a segment of the toy retail business where
   LEGO sees tremendous opportunity and expertise in communicating with
   loyal, discerning consumers."

   [...] In the past five months, LEGO has restructured to create a
   cross-functional team - including sales, customer service, demand
   management, and marketing - dedicated specifically to the specialty
   and independent toy retail business."

It's said that reps have begun calling around to secure orders from
stores. But I'm left wondering how much product those little stores will
be expected to move, after reading this next bit..

   [...] The final building block in this turnaround is the development of
   promotional incentive programs based on rate of purchase - including
permanent
   LEGO-branded shelf units, in-store demonstration products, and play
tables."

I sure hope the Mom and Pop stores will be able to get in on this. It
sounds good.  I wonder why there's no press release about it..

-Suz