 Duplo / 503
Re: LEGO stops DUPLO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 21:44:28 GMT

In lugnet.duplo, Erik Olson writes:
My peers at work are all having babies lately. They are buying Megabloks,
the really mega kind, probably because they are just cheaper. This is not a
real poll, just alarming anecdote. Come to think of it, TRU has a heck of a
lot more of that brand of big block.

Incidentally, having lost in court, Lego is saying they will soon take a big
bite of MB's Canada markets.

-Erik
The only Megabloks TRU in Denmark has is the very big Megabloks for babies;
they tried lately to sell some of the MB transformer sets, but had to put
them on clearance at one third of the original price, as nobody bought them.
I guess Danes are still considering Lego to be national heritage and rather
pays the double price for Lego than buying some foreign cheap clone. But
Danish consumers are also very conservative: DUPLO sells well in Denmark,
but other themes like TOOLO and MyBots have been disasters. You can't enter
a bank or a public office (doctor, dentist, city council) without finding a
DUPLO playtable with lots of DUPLO's (but no Lego System or Lego Primo!?!??).
- Arne