 Duplo / 494
Re: LEGO stops DUPLO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 04:23:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin writes:
My daughter (4) has generally grown out of her Duplo now (though it
occassionally gets played with), as she grew out of Primo before that. It is
disappointing to see such good quality (and high priced) toys neglected -
LEGO must get some negative feedback from it.

I think that's a big part of the problem for Lego, there is a big second
hand market for Duplo for precisely those reasons: It's very expensive new
(significantly cheaper of late but still expensive overall), and once the
kids grow out of it (after only a couple of years) they're not likely to
ever go back to it.  So parents don't want to pay much to begin with, and
they're not likely to keep it longterm.  Hence there is a lot of second hand
Duplo circulating out there and it's generally pretty cheap.

...which in turn would impact on new sales. Duplo is very popular, but this
is probably not reflected in he sales LEGO sees.

Also, Duplo is probably more physically durable than System - same ABC, but
more robust bricks, no fine parts, no sharp edges, very few white
components. It's probably not stretching things to say that old Duplo is
more like new Duplo (accessories and figs excepted) than old System is like
new System.

I would not be surprised to see the demise of Lego Baby (Primo) for similar
reasons, in fact I'm surprised that it didn't go first.

Me too. Perhaps the reason it didn't go first is that it hasn't been around
long (introduced 97 or 98 IIRC), and they're not losing as much to second
hand trade? (yet?).

BTW I don't fit my own generalisations: I buy lots of Duplo, 99.9% brand
new, and I'll be keeping most if not all of it when my kids no longer play
with it :)

FUT .duplo only

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com