 Duplo / 47
46  |  48
Subject:
Winnies a Pooh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 06:26:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Arthur writes:
Well I was told by Lego Australia that as it had been running consecutively
for so long it was time to give it a break.
The woman I spoke to said it definatly would be discontinued.
Seeing as I have 30 metres of track, :-) I think we will be ok, but wanted • to
let everyone know that now is the time to buy, before it gets scarce.
I have noticed already that when stock in this gets down in all my local
stores it is not replaced, so maybe supplies are already low?

This is bad news. Like you I have a lot of track.... but one can never have • too
much.

Can't wait to see a 2000 catalogue for Duplo.

Lets just hope Winne the Phoo is absent.

Yeah, Im with you on Winnie, and I really dont like the Forest friends sets, I
have actually been disapointed with this years range of Duplo, and for the
first time ever, the quality as well.
Did anyone else notice that the thickness of the plastic on the trucks was not
up to scratch?
Maybe its just me, but when I compared them to the other vehicles of previous
years, they dont seem as hardy, also, the removable window/roof sections,the
clip on elements such as the bulldozer bucket and the trailor section of the
2808 cannot be removed or replaced by a child either.
At least this is the situation with my set, so one would assume it to be the
case with everyone elses also (?)
This is the first time ever, a child has come to me frustrated with Duplo, not
being able to change components around themselves. (same child who has never
had this problem with duplo before, so its not just the child.) These are
definatly too tough for a child under at least four or five to manipulate
alone, which sort of defeats the whole concept really doesnt it????
OK I'm having a real bitch here, but the variety just wasnt there this year
either, when i compare it to previous years the set count seems decidedly low.

The Winnie and forest friends just seems too much like all those other toys
on the market, how many companies are producing Winnies for example?? Isnt
this just a little bit of overkill here?

The brick runners seem like a nice idea until you realise that all those other
car and train sets you have don't run on it, the thing I have always applauded
Lego for is its dedication in creating elements that all work together.
Also the non replaceable light and sound elements which I won't complain about
again, promise!

If items are too stiff for a 3 year old to manipulate and some sets dont work
in with existing elements, and the latest sets are merely reflecting what all
the other companies are flooding the market with then why buy Duplo in the
first place? Kinda defeats the central idea really doesnt it.

OK thats my thoughts, I have been collecting Duplo for years, have an enormous
amount of it and still more to arrive, but apart from the Sherriff Jake 2434
I have purchased nothing from the 1999 catalogue.
Lets hope that the 2000 range gives us a return to the old quality and themes,
plus some new sets that dont cash in on the latest craze or fad.

Otherwise I for one will be considering that Duplo is dead, and will continue
my quest for all those elusive older sets, and ignore the new.

I'd be interested to hear anyone elses views on this, Does anyone out there
feel the same, or is it just me???

Rachel
(who can't wait to check out the new Duplo sets)

Scott A