 Duplo / 390
389  |  391
Subject:
Updated Printed Brick Database (and Bob the Builder rave up)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:02:28 GMT

Greetings:

My first post-Brickfest LEGO related task is to do something I wanted to do
last week after reading the postings in this forum related to the new Bob
the Builder duplo sets.  Originally, I had cruised right by the pages with
these sets in the new S@H catalog.  After last week's postings I pulled it
out again and was delighted to find that the BtB sets have a bunch of new
printed bricks in them.  So I wanted to update the Printed Brick database
but didn't have time to squeeze it in with all the other pre-'Fest tasks I had.

I did get it done today though and with this round of updates, the database
now documents 117 unique designs and 135 design/brick/color combinations. My
personal collection is now up to 55 unique bricks (84 total) following the
acquisition of 10 new ones at BrickFest (thanks Suz!).

The updated listing is at:

http://www.lugnet.com/duplo/~250/printedbricks

I'm still looking for further updates to this list so please let me know if
you see anything missing or anything that needs fixing.  Thanks!  It's also
still part of my plan to eventually fancy the page up with links to
pictures.  Stay tuned.

Back to Bob the Builder...

The new batch of printed bricks are a bit of an odd assortment.  Because of
the theme of these sets they are primarily work/construction related.
There's a pile of sand with a shovel stuck in it, a clipboard with a
checklist, a hydrant or spigot type brick, a "men at work" brick (though
actually the silhouette looks more like "man at rest") and a lunch brick
(box, thermos & fruit).

Oddball printed bricks are the Mice brick, the weird peacock/rooster/bird
brick, the soap suds and bubble brick and my favorite - the Exclamation
brick (exclamation point on a white triangle).

Wildest of all though (at least to me) are the new wood paneling and brick
facade bricks.  The wood bricks are brown (!) and have a pattern that looks
like nailed boards.  The bricks with the multi colored brick patterns
printed on them come in various 2-wide sizes: 2x4x1, 2x6x1, 2x2x1 and 2x4x2.
If I could get my hands on a pile of these bricks I wouldn't be above using
them for some mini-fig scale project - particularly the wood paneling
bricks.  They would make great shack walls.

As for the rest of the elements in the sets:

It's great to see some non-traditional duplo colors included.  There are
brown, orange and tan bricks included.  There are also some grey elements
(big pot and a briefcase).  One other new item I really dig from these sets
are the new roof pieces with the orange shingles on them (on tan bricks).
Once again, I wouldn't be above using these pieces if I had enough of them.

Unfortunately the sets are not in the LUGNET database yet so I can't provide
a link to them.  I believe there was a previous posting in the Duplo
newsgroup from last week with a link to scans from the catalog.

I look forward to adding some of these bricks and elements to my collection.
If anyone ends up getting these sets for either themselves or some other
child in their life and comes to the conclusion that they have no need for
the printed bricks - let me know and I'll take them off your hands in
exchange for a contribution to your child's college fund.

All for now,

Greg