 Duplo / 299
Re: Train strain?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:27:45 GMT

In lugnet.duplo, Mark James writes:
<snipped for space>
The second hand gear included the engine from 2730. This seems to have
slightly less trouble with the bridge. Also makes less noise - or certainly
a deeper, less intrusive noise. So...

a. is my 2933 engine's struggle with the bridge normal?

Maybe.  Perhaps try alkaline batteries and check that there isn't carpet
fluff in the wheels, also 2 or 3 pieces of straight track connected directly
in front of the bridge can make a huge difference over curved.  Without
seeing and hearing the engine it's hard to say for sure that you don't have
a lemon, there seems to be a wide range of normal. I have several engines
and duplicates of some of them and they are all different (as new) w.r.t.
noise/speed/power even with brand new identically branded batteries.  Even
the beeps are different tones.

b. if so, does anyone think this reduces the engine's lifespan?

I doubt it, but possibly your battery life.

c. does a Duplo engine have a finite lifespan?

I've had my oldest engines for about 5 years and they have shown no
noticeable wear.

d. were the older 2730-era engines 'better' (casing is the same, but feels
heavier)?

I thought they were all the same though I've never looked at one internally.
The 2933 and it's brother 2932 are just moulded differently on top of the
same chassis as 2745 et al.

Hope this helps,

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com