 Duplo / 298
297  |  299
Subject:
Train strain?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 21:44:03 GMT

Have recently acquired from a car boot sale - thanks, Mum! - approx UK£200
retail of Duplo train. The highlight is bridge 2738, but I have a concern:

My - or rather my daughter's?! - engine was bought as my - sorry her - Xmas
present (freight train 2933) so isn't yet 10 weeks out of the box. It has
*not* been abused. However, it is quite distressing to see/hear it
struggling over the bridge, even going solo. With the 2933-provided wagons
in 'official trim' it is positively asthmatic. With a Pooh Bear, a Native
American canoe being piloted by a couple of baby big cats, the CHiPs
motorcyclist and a cactus on the back I just want to jump in and give it a
helping hand.

The second hand gear included the engine from 2730. This seems to have
slightly less trouble with the bridge. Also makes less noise - or certainly
a deeper, less intrusive noise. So...

a. is my 2933 engine's struggle with the bridge normal?
b. if so, does anyone think this reduces the engine's lifespan?
c. does a Duplo engine have a finite lifespan?
d. were the older 2730-era engines 'better' (casing is the same, but feels
heavier)?

Many thanks from a newbie,

Mark James

PS anyone in London UK seen a 2435 Western Town recently? Last spotted in
Stevenage Toys'R'Us before Xmas; rushed to the scene but they'd gone!