 Duplo / 288
287  |  289
Subject:
Racers!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:57:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

  While replying to Rob Anderson's message, I heard something on the TV.
Getting up, I heard an announcer's voice and something that sounded like the
Daytona 500.  Dreading having to actually watch what I knew was coming, and
being too far from the remote, I watched the stupid Racers commercial.
Basically, Lego has taken the term "niche marketing" to a new level.  There
isn't a market for it!  I honestly can only think that they are trying to
sell to those "finger bike" fans.  Not that they would be interested in Lego
in the first place.
  Now to actually tell what was in the commercial.  Not much new.  It shows
some kids running their Racers into a wall of 2x2 grey bricks, then
rebuilding them at "Mania" speed.  Basically, the Racers are small cars with
non-jointed figures that break into about 4 parts when they hit another
racer.  Suggested Retail Price: $1.99.  The response to these Racers
generally is "What were they thinking?".  The answer is simple: they weren't
thinking.  I really hope that Lugnet does not start a "dot Racers".  That's
why I posted this to Duplo.  Wait, maybe .racers could turn into a complaint
department...