 Dear LEGO / 968
Re: What I'd like to see...please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:59:48 GMT

   I don't want to sound the opposite of constructive in this post, but I am
not too excited by your request.  At the moment, I have scans of all the
instructions I can handle!  I have them pretty well divided by theme/age.  I
have a spare hard drive for this purpose, equal to about 6 CD-ROMs.  The
going price of Lego Media is about $40 at first, dropping to $20.  However,
with something like this, they would probably expect it to have a very long
shelf life, and therefore an even higher starting price.  I am sure they
have the facilities to make a much snazzier web interface for my viewing
pleasure, but I don't see that as necessity (or even worth while luxury).
Also, I am sure they could come up with cleaner copies of some of the scans
than I have so far, but as long as the scans are legible, they will do fine
for me.
   Personally 640 x 480 is far too small.  I use a big monitor with big
resolution, and would prefer twice the resolution you requested, at the
least, so I can make very nice prints on my printer.
   Finally, I believe if TLG took on such a project, it would tell
Brickshelf where to go.  And I am positive that TLG would not make the same
effort we do to find unusual and rare scans, and thus those would remain a
secret, possibly forever.
   IMO, lets stick with what we have, and hope they let us.
--
   Have fun!
   John
Robert M. Dye wrote in message ...
Hi, Brad & co.

I'd like to see a cd-Rom full of building instructions from older sets. I
think this could be really great, if done properly.

It should:

Have teh sets available by set number and also by category ("Pirates,"
"Space," etc.)

It should run on Windows, Windows NT, and Mac (especially Mac, <g>).

It should be accessible using a web browser, and the scans should come out
as close to full screen 640x480 as is possible.

It should enclude ALL the LEGO sets ever issued, or perhaps several could • be
done...all pirates, all space, all 1960's, etc.

Any other (constructive) suggestions for this, gang?

Rob