 Dear LEGO / 905
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 22:26:56 GMT

Brad Justus wrote:

Then to further clarify, it seems to me then that TLC would have no objection to
Kevin  updating Brickshelf to include *all*  directions for current sets.

-John

<snip>

"The LEGO Group owns the copyrights to its building instructions, publications
and to the photographs used in our catalogs and on our packages. Copying,
scanning and distributing these materials on the Internet would be an
infringement of our copyrights. Nevertheless, at the present time the LEGO
Group does not object to scanning of limited extracts of these materials in
unaltered form for non-commercial purposes of exchange of information or good
faith commentary."

The assumption underlying this policy is that the materials mentioned
(building instructions, catalogs, and the like) are intended for and freely
available to the public; specifically, that the catalogs mentioned are
consumer catalogs.

<snip>