 Dear LEGO / 89
Re: Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 16:29:41 GMT

I must agree with Matt, and I'm not even a trainhead.  4561 looks like a
futuristic pipe dream, not a realistic funcitioning train.  What's with all
the glass?  That just looks dumb.  Where the damn engine?

Dave

Matthew Bates wrote in message ...
Dear Lego,

Please stop making such ugly and unrealistic train sets. I know that you • are
trying to increase the playability of these sets but I don't see why • realism
has to suffer. 4561 is the worst example, it could have been so much • better.

Things started going down hill with the introduction of the 4559 and 4565
sets. 4559 was a very strange idea and the black and yellow colour scheme
didn't help. 4565 was also a bit 'dark' but at least it was a bit more
realistic, although it doesn't appear to be based on anything real.

The 2126 set was really a sign of things going bad, the tanker truck has
wooden tanks and the beam across the top doesn't even fit properly.

3225 is again a missed chance, this set could have been really nice with a • few
minor changes (i.e. no more expensive or harder to build) but instead it • looks
amateurish and hastily thrown together.

Why do you think that sets need to be unrealistic to appeal to your target
market? Take a look at Playmobil, their Trains look great. Take a look at
Brio, they base most of their sets on real trains. Take a look at Thomas • the
Tank Engine stuff, it's all based on examples of real British steam • engines.
In fact, considering the limitations of the system, even your own Duplo • train
sets look to be based on reality more than the Lego Trains!

The problem seems to be Town Jr (Town sets for 5+) that seems to be
influencing trains. Please stop it! For that matter, I think you should
clearly define and isolate Town Jr. and reintroduce Town "Classic" for the • 7+
agegroup. Then make sure that Trains firmly stay with the Town "Classic".

Matt