 Dear LEGO / 883
Re: Policy clarification regarding catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 23:32:56 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
(one could argue that the listing of the hyperlink to that material is
tantamount to publishing the material itself).
And so a rather uninformed US judge has recently ruled.

Not so -- there was no ruling, just a preliminary injunction. Furthermore,
they aren't accused of publishing the copyrighted information illicitly, but
of being engaged in "contributory copyright infringement". I'm not a lawyer,
so I can't define that precisely, but it's certainly something different.
(If the original documents hadn't been in violation, then there wouldn't
have been a problem.) Hopefully, sanity will prevail and the final judgement
in this case will go the other way.

Contrary to my earlier claim, I've actually found a case about linking which
was thrown out of court:

<URL:http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19980922S0008>

This case was obviously more ridiculous than what the Lego Company is
claiming, but it illustrates how absurd this could get.