 Dear LEGO / 5407
Re: I want LEGOLD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:03:23 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Steve Chapple wrote:
In lugnet.color, Steve Chapple wrote:
I decided to take a closer look at the gold bricks...
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SRC/GEmTS2003/high.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SRC/GEmTS2003/medium.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SRC/GEmTS2003/low.jpg

These photos are of the regular and Duplo 50th anniversary
bricks, along with a 1 ounce 24k gold coin (on the left)
and a 1/2 ounce 22k gold coin (on the right).  The 22k has
a bit lighter color and more of a shine to it due to the
silver content.  It's hard to see in the photos with the
gold reflecting the light, but although all four are
different, the LEGO gold is a good approximation.

There's basically only three things I buy - with my discretionary
income - DVDs, LEGO, and Gold(&Silver), so these gold LEGO bricks
are a hit with me.  I would however like to request/suggest that
TLC partner with the Royal Canadian (or a lesser) Mint and make
actual Gold LEGO bricks.  Obviously 22k or less, as the pure 24k
would be too soft.  I don't suppose the same molds could be used,
but "LEGOLD" would be a fantastic and unique addition to the
various gold collector coins available in the global marketplace.

The various size bricks and plates could equate to various weights.
ie. A 2x4 brick would be 1 troy ounce of gold, a 2x2 brick ½ ounce,
and a 1x2 brick ¼ ounce, while the plates would be in grams.  That
is a 1x1 plate would contain 1 gram of gold, a 1x4 plate 4 grams, etc.

If you are really interested in something like this, I recommend taking a
look at some third-party custom-created castings. A talented member of
BZPower, Flintsmith, has created some amazing collectibles in metal and
precious metal (see <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=102366
here> and <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=562631 here> for
examples). Bram Lambrecht also at one time created metal key chain bricks.
I'm sure there are others that would be willing to work on a commission
basis.

LEGO has also been known to produce limited editions of true precious metal
collectibles (mostly for contests: see
<http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=1428 here>,
<http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=1 here> and
<http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=916 here>, for example).
{Kelly}

While custom work is nice, I'd prefer something from TLC (like the masks).

I realize my idea above is not practical, but it sure would be nice...

SRC     LUGNet #765
StRuCtures™  Bricksmith™
http://SRC.NorthComp.com