 Dear LEGO / 5265
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 19:14:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jake McKee wrote:

   Jake, I really like the set, and I’m always happy to have another train model to add to my collection, particularly modern frieght. But if I’m not mistaken a prototypical consist of these cars is either 3 or 5 at a time. So are there enough parts in the set to make 2 center cars, as opposed to 2 end cars?

You are correct, sir. Typically these are configed in 1, 3, and 5 car consists. (Yes, I’ve seen one car running standalone on occasion, but not often)

Honestly, this came down to a design decision on why we went with two cars. Three would have made the product two expensive, one sorta sells the articulated car concept short.

The instructions show how to make a single standalone car as an alternative.

Jake

Jake,

you answered my unmentioned question. I assumed selling 2 at a time was for the reason above, and selling 1 at a time would raise the per car price. So 2 at a time is great.

Doing the math (2 end trucks, 1 center truck and connections) I can see that by buying 2 10170 sets, I can build a 3 car and a single car consist.

But if I buy 3 10170 sets, can I build a 5 car and a single car consist? Or a 3 car and a 3 car consist? Either of these requires at least 1/3 of the parts needed for a center truck and conection be duplicated in a 10170 box set.

If not maybe a combined set of 3 of the 10170 plus the few extra bit needed would be in order? Or combined with a BNSF engine and parts for a couple more cotainers to make a frieght train set? Iltco speacial?

But please don’t combine it with curved track and controller, these I have plenty of.

Thanks,

Mat Clayson