 Dear LEGO / 4864
4863  |  4865
Subject:
Buckets on the Brain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.color, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:25:06 GMT

If this issue has already been addressed, then please forgive me. I’ve searched the Lugnet set database but could not find the answer to my question.

I realize that this issue could EASILY be addressed by simply buying one of the sets in question, but I have no money, and have had no money. I’ve been given the three sets I will talk about below as gifts. So until I have the money to answer the question myself... on to the set up!

A few of my local stores are still carrying some of the old 2002, 4107 Blue Creator buckets

    4107 Build Your Dreams
1000 elements, 0 figures, US$20, 2002
LEGO > Creator

And of course I now own three of them. It’s a great bucket, lots of little light and dark grey bricks, tan, brown, green, and all of them old colors. It’s the closest thing to a Castle Bucket.

However, my stores are also carrying a Blue bucket which I believe has the exact same number (4107) but has a different label color (yellow instead of green) and I’m almost positive that instead of Creator it is something else, though for the life of me I can’t remember what it is. Designer maybe?

What I am positive about, however, is that this yellow 4107 has the identical selection and quantity of bricks as the green 4107.

Now I’ve studied the bottoms of these buckets, and there seems to be a calendar grid that specifies a month and a year. (Mar - 02, for example)

So first question:

Is this calendar representitive of when the bucket itself was made, or when the bucket was filled/packaged?

If I remember reading what Jake said correctly, all sets made after December 2003/January 2004 will have the new light and dark grey and brown colors.

The stores are also carrying a new bucket as well, which has a radically different bucket design.

    4496 Fun with Building Tub
1000 elements, 0 figures, US$20, 2004
LEGO > Creator

    4496 50th Anniversary Tub
1000 elements, 0 figures, US$20, 2005
LEGO > Creator

    4496 Fun with Building Tub - Reissue
805 elements, 2 figures, 2006
LEGO > Creator

This is a newer set, and I would assume has the new light and dark grey and brown colors.

Second question(s):

Were all sets that contained old light and dark grey and brown colors either discontinued or repackaged and renumbered at the change over between 2003/2004? If not, which ones carried over unchanged (aside from the new colors replacing the old)?

The green 4107 buckets have a calendar marking of 2002. The yellow 4107 buckets have a calendar marking of 2003.

But since I do not know the answer to questions one and two yet, it brings me to my third question:

Do these yellow 4107 buckets contain the old light and dark grey and brown colors?

If the yellow 4107 buckets do contain the old colors, I’ll have to start doing more odd jobs till I get employed to buy out my poor, defenseless local stores :)

Thanks so much in advance!

--Anthony