 Dear LEGO / 4795
4794  |  4796
Subject:
Lighten up, everybody!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 16:02:32 GMT

It’s irritating. It’s silly. It’s greedy. It’s...the system we have.

When the limited edition Super Chiefs came out, they were listed on eBay almost before most LUGNET readers knew they existed. For prices over list.

I’ve been to company liquidation auctions where small buyers go into a frenzy for readily avaiable items in not-so-good shape by bidding well over list price (I honestly think there are some people who think used and beat up is a virtue in itself that does not necessarily have to correlate with less expensive and more economical (and I don’t mean people who are thinking enviromentally or collecting antiques)). You can’t stop this attitude and if real people want to bid up a readily available $75 items to $500, let them do it. Keep in mind that these people are buying the seller’s claim of “rare” without any investigation, which was probably perfectly true at the time the item was listed, but won’t be by the time the item is delivered. And probably, 14,000 total is rare on a planet with over 6,000,000 people.

With regard to Precious Princess Palace, I feel embarrassed that one of my favorite BrickLink suppliers is taking advantage of ignorant buyers. But I do have to add that Jin is very real and provides generally exceptional service and very, very good prices on most LEGO items and ships 99.9% of everything I order. So, is 1.9 cents for 3000 new 2x4 dark gray plates unrealistic and not possibly real? Nope, I ordered them and they came promptly as promised. Eighty pieces of new curve track at 50 cents? They came promptly too. I’ve bought 10s of thousands of parts from Jin and have no complaints.

-Ted