 Dear LEGO / 4518
Re: So very Good!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:35:57 GMT

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Richard Noeckel wrote:

*If only TLC was generous enough to provide a few sets with
‘Oodles of accessories,’ these sets would probably sell better
than the standard minimalist-accessories sets even if they cost
a dollar or two more!

Which "minimalist-accessories" sets would those be?  4811, which comes
with one complete 'fig, two crossbows, and a shield?  6054, with two
'figs, a bow, a sword, three spears, and two shields?  Any random Castle
set of which I can think has *at least* enough accessories to equip the
'figs that come with the set (not always the best accessories,
granted---many sets come with halberds and crowns where better weapons and
helmets would be more useful).

In fact, a major problem with TLC's Castle sets has been that they are
dripping with 'figs, horses, and accessories, but few bricks and other
parts needed to build buildings for all the 'figs.  The special pieces
attract the casual purchaser and justify a higher price point, but the
sets can't supply the other needed parts for a decent castle.  Meanwhile,
buckets have never provided much for castle building, leaving only service
packs---(barely) adequate for me now, but I never bought anything from S@H
before I was 23, so I doubt many kids are ordering 3732 and 3459; instead,
I suspect that they're looking at hundreds of dollars worth of System sets
and trying to scrounge up enough bricks for a short wall segment (like I
was doing 14 years ago).

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/